Aromatherapy for Sunburn
The summer sun is a wonderful treat, but too much of a good thing will leave you with a nasty sunburn. It’s important to protect yourself with SPF — but if you end up with a burn this summer you don’t have to suffer. You can use aromatherapy — with essential oils — to heal faster and find some relief.
Here are 5 essential oils that are perfect aromatherapy for sunburn:
- Lavender. Lavender is an essential oil everyone should have in their cabinet. It has antifungal and antibacterial properties that are excellent for soothing a variety of skin conditions. For a sunburn, lavender can speed up the healing process of a sunburn.
- Sandalwood. When sandalwood essential oil is applied to the skin, it creates a cooling sensation that can be soothing for a hot sunburn. Sandalwood also has anti-inflammatory properties that offers some skin relief.
- Chamomile. Just like chamomile tea calms the body for sleep, chamomile essential oil calms the skin. The oil has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that make it great for soothing and healing sunburns.
- Frankincense. Frankincense is a powerful essential oil with a variety of benefits for skin. For sunburn it helps to reduce the instance of scarring.
- Peppermint. Peppermint oil is a great, soothing oil for sunburns. After applied directly to the skin, peppermint oil has an intense cooling sensation that feels awesome on hot skin.
Before applying any essential oils to the skin, mix with a carrier oil to dilute. Essential oils alone can be too intense and irritating to skin — especially for sensitive sunburnt skin. Many carrier oils have their own healing properties for a bonus. Try antibacterial coconut oil to avoid infection or extra soothing aloe vera for some relief.
Try experimenting with different combinations of essential oils to create your very own sunburn remedy. It will be a sweeter summer!