Vitamin D not only makes you have a pretty nice tan, but there are also numerous health benefits to it as well. Vitamin D is a group of vitamins found in liver and fish oils, essential for the absorption of calcium! Two main ways to get vitamin D is to expose your bare skin to sunlight and to take Vitamin D supplements. Sadly, you cannot get the proper amount from food that you eat.
Some food that will help and give nutrients throughout the year…
- Oily fish like mackerel, salmon, sardines
- Powdered milk
- Fortified breakfast cereals and fat spreads
5 Benefits from Vitamin D:
- Healthy Bone Formation: Vitamin D aids to growth and development of bones and muscles in both adults and children. Healthy bones are vital to a strong and healthy life.
- Helps the immune system: Vitamin D triggers and assists the immune system. Without the proper amounts of this vitamin then our body is prone to illness and serious infections.
- Healthy Heart: Vitamin D can reduce your blood pressure and also reduce the risk of stroke or heart attack.
- Healthy Skin: Along with tan lines, vitamin d is very beneficial to your skin! This doesn’t mean you need to be outside all day in the sun without protection. It is all about balancing the appropriate time you spend outside with sunblock as well. Since there is limited sunlight in the winter months, make sure to get out of the house if you can.
- SMILES: Sunshine puts you in a good mood! Low levels of serotonin can make you feel a little down and sad from time to time. Which means that in the winter when the sunshine is low that you may feel a little sadness at times. Flax seed and vitamin D supplements help with maintaining a healthy diet with great benefits as well.
Remember to stay smart in the sunshine, but soak up the benefits!