The children’s song, Head, Shoulders, Knees & Toes, is fantastic when learning the parts of the body including your extremities. Maintaining healthy extremities is very much connected to the health of your spine and entire body.
We all know that Apple Cider Vinegar has a distinct taste and an incredibly potent smell, but did you know that it is so GOOD for your body! For centuries, vinegar has been used for various household remedies and numerous cooking purposes. It is claimed to help with all sorts of health problems. All of these benefits are supported by science. So give Apple Cider Vinegar a try with your next smoothie or even your next food dish! Trust us, you won’t regret it!
Vinegar is great for killing pathogens such as bacteria, and it is traditionally used for cleaning and disinfecting fungus, lice, warts, and ear infections. Over two thousand years ago, Hippocrates used vinegar for wound cleaning! Bottom line is the main substance in vinegar, acetic acid, can kill bacteria and/or prevent them from multiplying and reaching harmful levels.
2. High in acetic acid- In French, the word “vinegar” actually means “sour wine” and wine has to be good for you as well right!? Organic apple cider vinegar contains strands of proteins and enztmes with friendly bacteria that give the product so many benefits!
3. Lowers blood sugar levels and fights diabetes– The absolute best and most successful application of vinegar to date is in type 2 diabetic patients. Type 2 diabetes is characterized by elevated blood sugars, and stabilizes your insulin levels. Everyone can benefit from keeping their blood sugar levels stable!
4. Makes you feel FULL= you get to lose weight!- Several human studies suggest that vinegar can increase, help you eat fewer calories and even lead to actual pound lost on the scale. Vinegar makes you feel full and eat less the rest of the day. Being used as a weight loss aid is one of the best things about apple cider vinegar!
Do you wake up in the morning feeling like you have barely slept? 1 in 3 Americans do not get the recommended seven or more hours of sleep a night. Even if you are sleeping 8 or 9 hours a night, that still might not be enough. Or they may not be worth their full potential. We are all human and make mistakes, but here are 5 things that you can seriously work on.. come on there are sooooo many benefits from more sleep!
Research shows from reading light-emitting electronic devices like tablets/ipads/phones before bed can mess up your circadian clock.
A nightcap will help you feel snoozy, but it is not doing you any favors for your sleep quality. Drinking before you sleep can help you fall asleep quicker, but then significantly disrupts and alters sleep quality later in the night.
Even if you’re not posting from your bed, your addiction to social media may affect your sleep quality. Young adults (ages 19-32) spend the most time on social media at night before bed, and they were twice as likely to have sleep disturbance than their less-obsessed peers.
This one seems obvious, and it is never a good idea to slam a latte or espresso before bedtime. The surprising part is that you should probably call it quits on the caffeine way earlier than you think. Studies have shown that drinking a double espresso 3 hours before bed caused a 40 minute delay in participants’ internal clocks. Who wouldn’t kill for an extra 40 minutes of sleep each morning??? You should cut off caffeine intake 6 hours before you plan to sleep. Consider making your lunch coffee your last coffee of the day!
So if you feel as if you are not getting the adequate amount of sleep a night, just try eliminating some of these things to have a more successful nights sleep. There are benefits from more sleep. Burning more fat while you sleep, you wake up feeling refreshed, your body gets an appropriate amount of time to “reset”, and many many more!
So you think you know everything about Chiropractors? You think you know everything about Health and Wellness? Well smarty pants, there may be some things that you may not know! For starters Chiropractors are hard workers and they do have hard course loads in school. So let’s appreciate the DOCTORS that they are!
1. Pain is the last symptom of dysfunction. A patient’s back is often restricted or unstable for months or years before it presents as a problem and they show up in a chiropractor’s office. In addition, the absence of pain is not health. While medication may be needed, if you take a pill and the pain goes away, the dysfunction that caused it still persists. Muscle, ligament and joint injuries often occur as a result of long-term bio mechanical dysfunction, sometimes from past injuries, making the area more susceptible to future injury.
2. Athletes use chiropractors to stay well and perform better, not just for the occasional injury. Athletes choose chiropractors because we are movement specialists. Chiropractors were spotted all over the Olympic coverage last year, and top athletes such as Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Michael Phelps, Tom Brady, Evander Holyfield, and Arnold Schwarzenegger have all been proud patients of chiropractors. These days it’s far more common than not for major athletes and sports teams to keep chiropractors nearby to help prevent injuries, speed injury recovery, improve balance and coordination, and give them a greater competitive edge.
3. The body does not perform as a cluster of separate mechanisms, but rather a cascade of events that all starts with proper control by the nervous system. The nerves that travel through and control every function of your body originate at the spinal cord and their transmission may be disrupted if the joints of the surrounding spinal column are not moving properly. This disruption in biomechanical integrity combined with altered physiological function is what chiropractors call a subluxation. Below is a chart that illustrates the relationship of the spinal nerves exiting the vertebra branching off to the various organ systems.
4. Doctors don’t do the healing. Sorry to disappoint you, but a chiropractor will never fix your back. What we are able to do is restore proper motion in the joints, which relieves tension on the nerves and muscles and allows your body to do the healing that it is inherently made to do. As chiropractors, we believe that the body is a perfect organism in its natural state, and all disease comes from a disruption in the body’s proper transmission of signals by the nerves which affects its ability to heal and to defend against disease-causing agents. We never treat disease. We assess to find which spinal levels are causing the dysfunction.
5. Chiropractic is for all ages. Many seniors aren’t aware of the benefits of chiropractic care which can help them not only with pain relief, but also increase range of motion, balance and coordination, and decrease joint degeneration. There’s no patient too young for chiropractic either! Chiropractors check infants moments after birth for misalignment’s of the upper vertebrae that may occur as a result of the birth process. In addition to supporting overall health and well-being, parents also take their children to chiropractors to encourage healthy brain and nervous system development, to assist with colic, asthma, allergies, bed-wetting and sleeping problems, and to assist with behavioral disorders.
6. We know about more than your backbone! This surprises many people who had no idea that chiropractors give advice on nutrition, fitness, ergonomics and lifestyle, screen for conditions unrelated to the musculoskeletal system and refer out to other practitioners when necessary. Chiropractors are also able to complete specialties in other areas such as pediatrics, sports rehabilitation, neurology, clinical nutrition, and addictions and compulsive disorders.
7. Successful chiropractic patients accept responsibility. When somebody says that they tried chiropractic and it didn’t help. Of course, there are cases with complicating factors, but people with straightforward chiropractic problems need to focus on a routine. In most cases, one doesn’t acquire back pain over night, and it’s not going to go away over night. If a weak core from years of sitting at your desk is to blame for the additional stress on your joints, I would expect an adjustment to provide relief, but once the condition is no longer exacerbated.
8. Chiropractic may help you get sick less. Studies have indicated that adjustments consistently reduce the production of pro-inflammatory mediators associated with tissue damage and pain, and may also enhance the production of immune or regulatory complexes important for healthy immune system defense. As far back as the deadly flu pandemic of 1917-1918, chiropractors noticed that their patients seemed to have fewer fatalities than among the general population and were able to publish their work in an osteopathic journal since no scholarly journals were accepting chiropractic data. The estimated death rate among patients of conventional medical care in the U.S. was estimated at 5 to 6 percent while the fatality rate among influenza cases receiving spinal adjustments was estimated at 0.25%.
Thanks to everyone for coming out to the Open House last night at Family and Sport Chiropractic! We raffled off some pretty cool prizes!
**Here are the winners**
Comfort Gel Pack- THOMAS WILLIAMS
BioFreeze- ATEF SALEM
Omni Massage Roller- Laurie Brockman Jones
Core Pillow- ED BARRY
Free Zerona Treatment- PAULINE GREAZEL
-Come on in and get your prize!-
HOW A CHIROPRACTOR CAN HELP ECZEMA
You may be wondering if the title of this post is a typo – it’s not! Many parents are finding great help by taking their children to a chiropractor, and today I’d like to dig in to this interesting topic and explore why they’re doing this and what kind of benefits they’re seeing.
While chiropractors are usually best known for what they do for stressed out adults, people who have had an accident, or those who are dealing with muscle and bone issues, they may have some pretty amazing benefits to offer kids with eczema as well.
I always thought that the whole point of working with a chiropractor was to get adjustments to relieve the pain of muscle, bone, and joint issues – but they do so much more! Many of them are well versed in natural nutrition, and these days many will know a lot about allergies as well. A chiropractic adjustment can help with eczema because it helps with overall body, stress response, and immune function – all things that play into how well the body can fight off a flare up or deal with inflammation that’s already present.
A chiropractor will usually treat eczema by first looking at the overall health of the body. They may look at posture, breathing, and alignment to see if the child’s body is growing and developing properly, and they may use traditional techniques to help align anything that’s out of balance. They can also use techniques that have a positive effect on the lymphatic system, immune system, and the body’s natural ability to detoxify itself – all things that can provide great relief.
One of the first things that came to my mind when I thought about taking my kids to the chiropractor is, ‘how can I get them to participate and relax into the process?’ It’s hard enough for adults to relax and let the adjustment happen – what about kids? Well, I attend a family practice where children as small as newborns are adjusted. It turns out that chiropractors do not use the pop & click technique on children. They switch to massage and maneuver, tactile sensations, and some pretty interesting gadgets and machines. All of which are less nerve wracking! The children I’ve seen, hop onto the bed willingly as they enjoy their ‘massage’ as much as (if not more than) the parents!
If you feel that stress, strain, development, or other related issues could be triggering your child’s eczema, call a local chiropractor and ask a few questions. It could be a great help!
If you are someone who likes to maintain their overall health and wellness, then you may want to consider seeing a chiropractor. Chiropractors often treat injuries, but seeing a chiropractor can be an excellent preventative measure. If you are unsure if this will fit into your life read the list below, and ALWAYS remember you can come in for a FREE consultation just to see if this is the right thing for you. Enjoy!
If any of these 5 Reasons resonated with you then you need to make the next step. You only have one spine your entire life. So let’s take care of it!
Google Family and Sport Chiropractic in North Liberty Iowa and read our great reviews, then come in and visit us TODAY!
When you come to Family & Sport Chiropractic we pride ourselves in a thorough initial intake to accurately create a treatment plan that will meet your individual needs.
Our Footleveler scanner is a very useful, state of the art piece of equipment at our office that we will use to take some important measurements of your feet. It is important to find out if orthotics are needed. So much of our posture starts at our feet. How do you stand, walk, and run? Understanding the structure of your feet due to genetics, physical conditions, injury, etc. plays a part in how the Dr. Karim designs your specific treatment plan.